Saturday, July 12, 2008

SPAGHETTI SOUP


Spaghetti Soup? Yep. Spaghetti Soup. When I was young, I remember taking a trip with my Dad to visit a friend and their family. It was fun. It was a long way from our home in New York. Seems like it was somewhere in Pennsylvania. When we got there, we climbed up a big mountain that seemed to be practically in their backyard. At the top was an awesome outlook. They lived in a HUGE place, with many floors and tons of rooms. I suppose they were remodeling or had just moved in because many of the rooms were empty. One room had several mattresses lined up on the floor. They kept us kids occupied with jumping up and down until we were told to cool it. At some point, I remember reading a book in a bedroom while the rain fell outdoors. The windows were huge. You could almost crawl up onto each ledge. Really, the only disturbing thing about the trip was the Spaghetti (or "Ba-sketti" as I used to call it) Soup we were served for dinner. Our host seemed so proud at the frugality of the meal. But all I could think was...Spaghetti SOUP??? It was cooked spaghetti, tomato sauce, and I believe stale crackers all mixed together in a blender. I looked at Dad in astonishment and probably a little fear. Did I really have to eat this?! He quietly said something like, "Just eat it!" Yikes! Needless to say, the memory of that supper is good for a laugh now and again. Too funny! But guess what? Today I pulled out a recipe book and somehow flipped right to one for Spaghetti Soup! I can't believe it! It's a REAL recipe that doesn't involve a blender or a food processor. I thought I'd better document it. So here it is.....Spaghetti Soup. Oh, and Dad? Guess what's on the menu the next time you visit!


Spaghetti Soup

Heat 1 tbsp. of vegetable oil in a 6-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Add 1/2 lb. of skinless, boneless chicken breasts cut into cubes. Cook until the chicken is well browned, stirring often. Remove the chicken. Reduce the heat to medium and add another tbsp. of vegetable oil. Add 1 medium chopped onion and cook for 1 minute. Add 1 large chopped carrot and cook for another minute. Add 1 stalk of finely chopped celery and 2 cloves of minced garlic. Cook for 1 more minute. Stir in 2 cups of chicken broth, 1 can of condensed tomato soup (10 3/4 oz.), and 1 cup of water into the saucepan. Heat to a boil. Stir in 3 oz. of uncooked spaghetti broken into 1-inch pieces. Cook for 10 minutes or until the spaghetti is tender. Add the cooked chicken and 2 tbsp. of chopped fresh parsley. Heat thoroughly and serve.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sara,
It seems like yesterday that I took that picture of you and your Dad!! You used to love to go up to Farmer Grams and play in the barn and on the tractor.
You were such a beautiful little girl, and now you are a beautiful, smart, creative, wonderful woman!!
I love you more than life!!
MOM