Tuesday, June 24, 2008

BINGHAMTON'S VAN GOGH


I am very thankful that this past weekend I was able to visit my grandfather's exhibit at the Roberson Museum & Science Center in my hometown of Binghamton, NY. His name is Armondo Dellasanta (he usually goes by Del) and he's a bit of a celebrity there. He has been dubbed "Binghamton's Van Gogh", he has a star on Binghamton's Walk of Fame, and his paintings are all over town. Many can be found inside Little Venice Restaurant (one of my favorite places to eat!) amid a flurry of artwork decorating the interior. He's in his 90's now and just as content to feed the squirrels and birds as he is to paint. I'm pleased that renown has come to him during his lifetime. He is quite an inspiration to me.


This exhibit at Roberson features work depicting Susquehanna, PA. This was one of my favorite paintings at the show. Granpa paints in oil using a palette knife and I love the Impressionistic results. To see more of my granpa's work and his very own PBS special, visit the first two links under my listing of "Artists".

No comments: