Friday, June 8, 2018

SAM ECKMAN COVERED BRIDGE

This art quilt was created as a commission earlier in 2018.  It represents the Sam Eckman Covered Bridge in Columbia County, Pennsylvania.  We have 23 covered bridges here and no two are alike.  Interestingly, of all the covered bridges in America, Columbia County is home to one of the only two remaining twin covered bridges, East and West Paden Bridges!

My first step when beginning any new project, is to sketch.  Surprisingly, this sketch was a breeze...lots of straight lines and perspective, though.  Once I had my sketch, I transferred it to plain muslin using a light box and darkened the lines with a fabric pen.

Then the real fun began...painting!  I secured a waxy piece of paper behind my piece and began working with textile paint.

More details...

Add some batting, a backing, tons of quilting, binding...and voila!

No comments: