Monday, May 6, 2013

STAY STRONG

 
I just spent three hours stumped in the studio.  Inspiration finally struck, and I'm thankful, but I sooo need to get this off my ample chest:  ART IS IMPORTANT!!!  And so are artists!!!  We don't create merely for fun, to avoid "real" work, or as a hobby.  It's a calling and a need and a crucial aspect of the overall social construct.  Otherwise, would I have spent three hours staring at a piece of paper contemplating the best way to convey a feeling visually?  Don't bet on it.  And don't tell us it isn't necessary or that we give too much of ourselves to it.  That isn't by mistake, it's entirely by design.  It's who we are.  To quote Shakespeare, "Let me be that I am and seek not to alter me."  Your lack of support is a blow to the very heart of us.  In the face of so much opposition, it's no wonder we're often lacking in motivation and stumped creatively.  A word of advice?  Life can't possibly be better with your eyes wide shut, so open them!  You'll be glad you did.  Meanwhile, we artists will stick together and stay strong.