Monday, October 29, 2012

GET NAKED! GET CREATIVE!


 
Me.  Topless.  In the studio.  In the middle of the night.  I often work that way.  It's easier getting down to creative business if I'm not saddled with restrictive clothing and the mindless domestic routines that accompany the daylight hours.  Yes, this is the life I've imagined...sort of.  I recently started to read an article where the author suggested getting naked in the studio, but warned readers to calm down for they only meant naked in the sense of stripping away conformity and normality in favor of unconventionalism.  I "got it", but didn't read the rest.  I thought it was a little gimmicky and a bit obvious besides.  After all, isn't that what we, as artists, are aiming for?  To be different from all the rest and in such a way that we are breaking new ground, accomplishing something worthwhile and therefore carving a place for ourselves in the art history books?  And besides, I literally get naked in the studio.  Someone should write an article about that!  Not to say that literally stripping down always makes the juices flow, because sometimes the opposite is true.  For instance, if I'm way too hot or way too cold it just doesn't work.  My mind wanders.  At the very least, I keep people talking.  And, hey, at least they're talking.  The point of all this, is that I just realized I am finally growing into my own skin and becoming the person I was trying to be in my 20's.  I'm more confident, socially outgoing and I have friends (real people who like me!).  I'm proud of my body and am emotional and expressive in my creative work.  It's a really beautiful feeling I would recommend to anyone.  So go ahead, get naked and give it a whirl.  You won't regret it!  

No comments: