Sunday, April 5, 2009

CAN THE ART PROGRAM? SERIOUSLY?

I really can't put into words how I am feeling about this situation other than to say that I am deeply disappointed. I'm not sure where I would have fit into the spectrum of things in high school had it not been for the arts. Andy Palmer, Nancy Summers, and Bob Wagner have all had a huge impact on my life. Not only did a constant exposure to the arts aid my academic achievements, namely graduating as the Whitney Point Class of 1997 Valedictorian, but the support, guidance, and inspiration of my instructors led me to pursue a career in the arts. I attended Lycoming College and graduated Summa Cum Laude with a degree in Art and certification in K-12 Art Education. I have work published in both magazine and book formats, I participate in local and national art shows, and among other accomplishments I remain an active independent artist in my local community. Yes, Whitney Point's art program means something to me. It means something to a lot of people. I beg the school board to reconsider. If we take away the arts, what will our kids actually have to read and write about? And how much of the sports program will they be cutting? -Sara Davern Mika

No comments: