Thursday, November 27, 2008

AN UNEXPECTED THANKSGIVING

I found out yesterday that since the in-laws are both sick, we would not be having Thanksgiving Day dinner at their house, but that I had to prepare it instead...and that my husband invited company over for dinner! AHHH! I wasn't planning on this! Last night I did all the prep work I could. A hand-me-down turkey, smashed potatoes with gravy, my mom's delectable sausage stuffing, my favorite creamed onions, and green bean casserole. And then the desserts! A delicious pumpkin dip with vanilla cookies, a pumpkin pie, and a dozen individual little chocolate pies. They will each be graced with a dollop of my gram's recipe for homemade whipped topping. She did it the old fashioned way with sugar and heavy cream. It's the best I can do on short notice! But the prep went surprisingly smooth. And my mood was certainly lifted when I got out the vintage pie plates! I think I picked up this little gem at The Street of Shops in Lewisburg. A favorite haunt! Gobble, Gobble!

No comments: